[Dovecot] Permissions in shared folders

Lukas Haase lukashaase at gmx.at
Wed Feb 9 13:58:20 EET 2011

Dear Timo,

Am 08.02.2011 23:48, schrieb Timo Sirainen:

>>> location = maildir:/var/mail/shared:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared
>>
>> Why? According to the Wiki, CONTROL is used for example for the
>> subscriptions (I can not use "subscriptions=no" because my private
>> namespace is "INDEX." and not empty) and therefore I use it.
> [...]
> You can create a prefix="" namespace with list=no hidden=yes where
> the subscriptions will be saved.

Great hint! This works!

For the archive:

namespace private {
    separator = .
    prefix =.
    inbox = no
    list = no
    hidden = yes
    location = maildir:~/Maildir-root
    subscriptions = yes
}

The subscriptions file for the public namespaces are not saved in
~/Maildir-root.

> [...]
> Yes, but then if any keywords (= custom flags = labels = ..) are
> used, they're not shared between users. Other users instead will see
> keywords like "Unknown-1".

I re-read the Wiki again and now I understand it.

The usual option will be using dovecot-shared and INDEX=~/Maildir/...
for private Seen flags and index, no CONTROL for shared keywords and
subscriptions = no for private subscriptions in the private parent
namespace.

Thank you very much for these tipps!

Regards,
Luke