[Dovecot] Permissions in shared folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 9 00:48:26 EET 2011

On 9.2.2011, at 0.20, Lukas Haase wrote:

>>> namespace public {
>>> 	separator = .
>>> 	prefix = Shared.
>>> 	location = maildir:/var/mail/shared:CONTROL=~/Maildir/shared
>>
>> location = maildir:/var/mail/shared:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared
>
> Why? According to the Wiki, CONTROL is used for example for the subscriptions (I can not use "subscriptions=no" because my private namespace is "INDEX." and not empty) and therefore I use it.

You can create a prefix="" namespace with list=no hidden=yes where the subscriptions will be saved.

> Furthermore, according to the Wiki, INDEX can be omitted if all users have write permissions because this way the index file is shared among all users.

You can't share index files without sharing control files, otherwise they'll be out of sync (IMAP UID <-> maildir filename mapping is only in dovecot-uidlist control file).

> However, I can also set CONTROL *and* INDEX. I think there is nothing wrong about it, isn't it?

Yes, but then if any keywords (= custom flags = labels = ..) are used, they're not shared between users. Other users instead will see keywords like "Unknown-1".