[Dovecot] Dovecot + Solr does not index without break-imap-search?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 9 17:26:16 EET 2011

On 9.2.2011, at 15.12, Jose Álvaro Domínguez Díaz wrote:

> With 'break-imap-search', Dovecot connects with solr, solr indexes all, searchs are fast and all works fine. BUT if we don't add 'break-imap-search', solr doesn't index anything.

With break-imap-search the indexing is used for TEXT and BODY search keys. Strictly looking at the IMAP RFC this makes Dovecot noncompliant, but then again there already are so many servers doing that that probably no one cares.

Without break-imap-search, indexing is used only for Dovecot-specific X-TEXT-FAST and X-BODY-FAST search keys, which of course nothing uses unless you modify your webmail. In future once Dovecot supports FUZZY extension this is going to be used by it to make it a bit more useful.