[Dovecot] Separate access to different "folders" of the same mailbox?

Alexander Chekalin achekalin at lazurit.com
Thu Feb 10 09:15:18 EET 2011

Hello Timo and everyone,

I think on such an idea that may save me a bit of space and time:

in my company we have a mailbox that holds a copy of every message that
our SMTP processed. While it eats a lot of space, it saved us several
times when, you may imaging, user "suddenly" deleted the most important
message in his life and call our IT guys for help. The mailbox contains
"folders" for each day (like 2011-02-10), which keeps mailings for that
day only.

Even with this, it is sometime hard to work with that "keep all" box
(basically, it is slow as the size is huge). What I'd like to add is
some kind of "virtual folders" (for each of our internal users) that
list messages from and to his address. And I'd like to permit every user
to see (that is, read only mode) only "his" such a virtual folder in our
"keep all" box, so user can see his old messages on his own.

Looks like
1) I need an ACL to limit user access to "their" folders and somehow
hide other folders at all
2) Have such virtual folders work with huge ammount of mailings (kind of
300 Gb), separated in maybe 1000 folders (per days). I really afraid it
will be slo-o-o-ow search, even with indexes (I mean, virtual folder
that is defined as search over 1000 folders will be not that fast).

The mailbox is maildir by nature. How can I archive these goals with
smallest load possible, and if it is possible at all?

Thank you,
   Alexander Chekalin