[Dovecot] lmtp logging to separate file

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Feb 12 14:23:25 EET 2011

On 12.2.2011, at 9.46, Nikita Koshikov wrote:

>> service lmtp {
>>  executable = lmtp -L
>> }
>>

> This works, thank you.
>
> Quick src code view gave more lmtp params, can you tell what is relevant command line keys for this options and maybe comment some of them? wiki2 still lacks all this info.

These flags have just about nothing to do with command line parameters. They're all about how the binary should work correctly.

> MAIL_STORAGE_SERVICE_FLAG_DISALLOW_ROOT |

User root isn't allowed for mail actions (pretty much everything has this, root is evil).

> MAIL_STORAGE_SERVICE_FLAG_USERDB_LOOKUP |

Users are looked up via userdb lookup, rather than from environment variables and current process euid.

> MAIL_STORAGE_SERVICE_FLAG_TEMP_PRIV_DROP |

Privileges are dropped only temporarily (this is the biggest thing I hate about LMTP processes - they effectively run as root).

> MAIL_STORAGE_SERVICE_FLAG_NO_LOG_INIT |

The "mail storage service" code doesn't change anything related to logging. I don't remember exactly why this matters, but I think lmtp does this internally.

> MAIL_STORAGE_SERVICE_FLAG_NO_IDLE_TIMEOUT;

UNIX socket connections to auth-userdb aren't disconnected. Mostly just an optimization.