[Dovecot] Regenerating mdbox/sis

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 16 18:21:22 EET 2011

On 16.2.2011, at 2.35, <dmiller at amfes.com> <dmiller at amfes.com> wrote:

> It's apparent I have some level of corruption in my mailboxes -
> something to do with the combination of mdbox, sis, and zlib. I should
> note that I know I have a mix of compressed and raw messages - if that
> makes any difference in identifying the problems.

The mixing shouldn't make any difference. Would be nice to know if the problem is from mdbox+sis, mdbox+zlib or if it really needs a combination of all 3.

I wonder if http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/b71834419ea3 might help here.

> I think I need to
> somehow regenerate the mailboxes with issues. Is there a suggestion for
> how to accomplish this? Should I perhaps use dsync to shift to a
> temporary mail location and then rename it back?

That should do it.

> If I DO use dsync in
> this manner, and I have zlib enabled - will this then compress all the
> messages in the new mail storage?

When dsync reads messages it decompresses them into memory, and recompresses them when saving.