[Dovecot] Permission denied after dist-upgrade

Mark Alan varia at e-healthexpert.org
Fri Feb 18 14:48:34 EET 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:42:34 +0100, Thomas Skowron
<thskowron at googlemail.com> wrote:

> after I have done a dist-upgrade to Squeeze, I got some nasty problem
> with my dovecot. When I try to establish a connection via IMAP, it
> doesn't react and writes the following into my logfile:

We also have systems based in Debian (Squeeze).

After all what has been said it sure looks like a chroot problem.

Could you post the (exact) contents of the following command:
grep 'vmail\|5000' /etc/passwd /etc/group /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

As in Squeeze Postfix runs chrooted, I wonder, did you re-configured
the postfix chroot (see /var/spool/postfix/) and put there all what you
need to avoid chroot problemas while combining Dovecot +Postfix + MySQL?

Finally, are shure that your VPS provider isn't encapsulating in chroot
jails either your private configs in /etc/ or your stuff in /home/ ?

M.