[Dovecot] Permission denied after dist-upgrade

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Feb 18 20:35:56 EET 2011

Mark Alan put forth on 2/18/2011 6:48 AM:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:42:34 +0100, Thomas Skowron
> <thskowron at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> after I have done a dist-upgrade to Squeeze, I got some nasty problem
>> with my dovecot. When I try to establish a connection via IMAP, it
>> doesn't react and writes the following into my logfile:
>
> We also have systems based in Debian (Squeeze).
>
> After all what has been said it sure looks like a chroot problem.
>
> Could you post the (exact) contents of the following command:
> grep 'vmail\|5000' /etc/passwd /etc/group /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>
> As in Squeeze Postfix runs chrooted, I wonder, did you re-configured
> the postfix chroot (see /var/spool/postfix/) and put there all what you
> need to avoid chroot problemas while combining Dovecot +Postfix + MySQL?
>
> Finally, are shure that your VPS provider isn't encapsulating in chroot
> jails either your private configs in /etc/ or your stuff in /home/ ?

Very good points.  I hadn't considered that the provider may be
monkeying with the guest chroot config, though this makes perfect sense
it a cheap "virtual" hosting environment.  However, if that's the case,
I wouldn't think they'd have allowed him to upgrade the OS as there
would be multiple customers sharing the same guest instance.  If not,
why would the provider monkey with jails in the guest?

--
Stan