[Dovecot] Running dovecot on embedded device?

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 20 00:22:34 EET 2011

Hi,

I'm considering buying a QNAP TS-212 NAS and I wonder if this device is powerful
enough to run dovecot too (there is a pre-built dovecot package available from
QNAP)? The main goal would be that my mail is stored centralized on the NAS,
where I can access it from multiple systems without ending up with mail
scattered over each system (which is exactly what is happening now due to the
fact that my isp offers only POP3). There will only be a few users (e.g. family
members), and incomming mail will be fetched from the isp mailbox.

The specs of the QNAP TS-212 are:

  * ARM Marvell Kirkwood 1.2GHz CPU
  * 256MB DDRII RAM

Is this sufficient to run dovecot, and will the performance be acceptable? I'm
not expecting something lightning fast, but something that is acceptable.

Jef