[Dovecot] Running dovecot on embedded device?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Sun Feb 20 07:05:46 EET 2011

On 20/02/11 09:22, Jef Driesen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering buying a QNAP TS-212 NAS and I wonder if this device is
> powerful enough to run dovecot too (there is a pre-built dovecot package
> available from QNAP)? The main goal would be that my mail is stored
> centralized on the NAS, where I can access it from multiple systems
> without ending up with mail scattered over each system (which is exactly
> what is happening now due to the fact that my isp offers only POP3).
> There will only be a few users (e.g. family members), and incomming mail
> will be fetched from the isp mailbox.
>
> The specs of the QNAP TS-212 are:
>
> * ARM Marvell Kirkwood 1.2GHz CPU
> * 256MB DDRII RAM

Heh... your idea of an "embedded" device clearly differs from mine.

I'm currently running Dovecot on a 450MHz UltraSPARC-IIi for a company
of about 25 people.

The QNAP (nice toys, aren't they?) has plenty of CPU, and I don't see it
running out of RAM, either.

> Is this sufficient to run dovecot, and will the performance be
> acceptable? I'm not expecting something lightning fast, but something
> that is acceptable.

I think it should do fine.

--
Curtis Maloney