[Dovecot] IMAP flags not being committed properly?

Janos Barbero jbarbero at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 17:18:19 EET 2011

I'm afraid I can't give steps to reproduce this, but if someone's come
across something like this, it might help me figure out what's going on.

I run imapfilter/offlineimap to fetch mail from a gmail to a local maildir
store, which I then access with alpine via dovecot (1.2.15). Here's the
output of dovecot -n:

# 1.2.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.26-2-686 i686 Debian squeeze/sid ext3
log_path: /var/log/dovecot.log
info_log_path: /var/log/dovecot-info.log
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: maildir:/data/1/mail:LAYOUT=fs
mbox_write_locks: fcntl dotlock
mail_plugins: fts fts_squat
auth default:
   passdb:
     driver: pam
   userdb:
     driver: passwd
plugin:
   fts: squat

Just recently, I went through a bunch of old unread messages, marking
them as read (in alpine). When I selected all unseen messages in pine
(;sn), 18 showed up. But the count was higher within Gmail even after
an expunge and offlineimap sync. So I selected all seen messages (;s!n)
and marked them all as seen (a*!n). This didn't take long (for a 30k
message folder) but surprisingly enough came back with the notice that
15 messages were marked as seen, and sure enough, at the next offlineimap
sync, flags were updated on 15 messages.

So I didn't touch anything in gmail, everything went to the maildir
through dovecot via alpine, and then back to gmail via offlineimap. Yet
the select command obviously did not return all the matching messages.
Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,
Janos