[Dovecot] Rejected mails

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Tue Feb 22 14:22:51 EET 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:37:58 +0800
sunhux G <sunhux at gmail.com> articulated:

> Sending outgoing emails from this dovecot/postfix server is Ok
> (ie emails received at destination) but incoming mails keep
> getting the logs below :
>
> smtp.myportaltech.com[202.6.163.31]:25: Connection timed out
> Feb 21 16:37:04 hostname postfix/smtp[1381]: 8B35C200060:
> to=<recipient_idg at myportaltech.com>, relay=none, delay=30,
> delays=0.1/0.01/30/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to
> smtp.myportaltech.com[202.6.163.31]:25: Connection timed out)
>

> >From this postfix server, if I tried doing "telnet 202.6.163.31 25"
> it won't respond.  That is the public IP address.
>
> If I issue "telnet private_IP_address 25" , it responds.  My firewall
> colleague said it's not feasible to create a firewall rule from this
> server to its own external public address - is this a valid comment?
>
> I'm not sure if this is the issue but I've also defined
> smtp.myportaltech.com  in /etc/hosts to point to my server's
> private address but seems like smtp/postfix (or dovecot?) is
> still trying to connect to the external private address when it
> attempts to connect to smtp.myportaltech.com

You continue to post problems with mail delivery that do not appear to
be dovecot related. You are also cross posting between the Postfix
forum and this one.

From what I can gleam from your posts, you have tried to make some
whole sale changes in the Postfix "main.cf" and now things are messed
up. Replace your custom main.cf with the default on. Restart Postfix
and see what transpires. Post the results on the Postfix forum where
they belong. Do not modify the main.cf with any of your custom
modifications until you have first tried it. You may also have to
revert to the default master.cf also.

--
Jerry ✌
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net