[Dovecot] Sieve rule issue with certain character sets

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Sat Jan 1 14:19:02 EET 2011

On 1/1/2011 12:21 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-01-01 at 11:35 +0100, Stephan Bosch wrote:
>
>> To: "=?UTF-8?B?ImJpbmQtdXNlcnNAbGlzdHMuaXNjLm9yZyI=?="
>>          <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
> I think this is a valid address..

I gave RFC2047 and RFC822 a quick read. The phase part is a sequence of
one or more `word' syntax items. In Section 5 of RFC2047,

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2047#section-5

at point (3) the `encoded-word' syntax is mentioned as a replacement of
the word syntax with a phase part. In RFC822 the word syntax was either
an atom or a quoted-string. In the situation above, obviously, a quoted
sting is used. In the item list that follows in section 5 of RFC2047,
however,  the above situation is explicitly denied:

  + An 'encoded-word' MUST NOT appear within a 'quoted-string'.

So, there does seem to be a bug in the mailer used by the person sending the message.

Regards,

Stephan.