[Dovecot] Sharing user folders doesn't work when users have periods in names.

ian+dovecot@comtek.co.uk ian at comtek.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 17:48:15 EET 2011

I am using period as an IMAP separator with Maildir directories and I
cannot share folders where the user has a period in their name.

Suppose I log in as 'some.user' and do:
    SETACL INBOX mailtest at example.co.uk +lrwstipekxacd

/var/mail/virtual/users/some.user/Maildir/dovecot-acl is created, with
appropriate contents and shared-mailboxes.db gains an entry for
'shared/shared-boxes/user/mailtest at example.co.uk/some.user at example.co.uk'.
mailtest is simply unable to see a new folder.

As mailtest 'a LIST "" "Users.*" ' is empty. If I do ' a MYRIGHTS
Users.some.user.INBOX ' I get 'NO [NONEXISTENT] Mailbox doesn't exist:
Users.some.user.INBOX' and, oddly, a new maildir appears: '* LIST
(\Noselect \HasChildren) "." "Users.some" ' -- it also creates an empty
folder structure with a single file
/var/mail/virtual/users/some/Maildir/dovecot-acl-list too!

Is there a workaround that does not involve rebuilding every user's
Maildir with backslash as a separator?

Thanks,

Ian