[Dovecot] Sharing user folders doesn't work when users have periods in names.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 4 11:30:27 EET 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 15:48 +0000, ian+dovecot at comtek.co.uk wrote:

> As mailtest 'a LIST "" "Users.*" ' is empty. If I do ' a MYRIGHTS
> Users.some.user.INBOX ' I get 'NO [NONEXISTENT] Mailbox doesn't exist:
> Users.some.user.INBOX' and, oddly, a new maildir appears: '* LIST
> (\Noselect \HasChildren) "." "Users.some" ' -- it also creates an empty
> folder structure with a single file
> /var/mail/virtual/users/some/Maildir/dovecot-acl-list too!
>
> Is there a workaround that does not involve rebuilding every user's
> Maildir with backslash as a separator?

You don't need to rebuild anything on Dovecot's side to change
separator. Just change it. Clients may become confused about that
though.

The only other possibility would be to change '.' in usernames to
something else. Maybe auth_username_translation could help there.

In any case having '.' both in usernames and as hierarchy separator just
isn't going to work.