[Dovecot] Finally upgrading from v1.0.15 to v1.2.16 -- advice please

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 4 11:35:42 EET 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 14:06 +0100, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> It's long over due, but now I finally plan on upgrading from v1.0.15 to
> v1.2.16 on our servers. Would appreciate any comments!
>
> We have 7 servers, all running of the same GPFS filesystem. Both
> maildirs and indexes are stored here. We use dovecot for POP/IMAP and
> deliver. Currently we're using mysql as authentication source, but want
> to move to using ldap instead.
>
> Can we upgrade one server at a time, or do we need to upgrade all
> servers at the same time ?

You could have upgraded from v1.0 to v1.1 or v1.1 to v1.2 incrementally,
but v1.2's index changes haven't been backported to v1.0, so if v1.0
accesses indexes modified by v1.2 you'll probably get some errors.

> Also, if we upgrade only one server, should we switch to "mmap_disable=no"
> on this one, or keep running with "mmap_disable=yes" on all servers ?

Keep it as "yes" always.

> "NFS users should now set mail_nfs_storage=yes and mail_nfs_index=yes."
> Does this apply to any shared/networked filesystems, and is this
> relevant for GPFS ?

Probably not. If it worked fine with v1.0 then you don't need these.

> Does the below look correct ?
>
> 	user_attrs = mailMessageStore=mail=maildir:%$:INDEX=/usr/local/atmail/users/indexes/%1u/%1.1u/%u, mailQuota=quota_rule=*:storage=%$
>
> i.e. will it point dovecot at:
>
> 	mail = maildir:/usr/local/atmail/users/j/a/janfrode at domain1.net:INDEX=/usr/local/atmail/users/indexes/j/a/janfrode at domain1.net
> 	quota_rule=*:storage=1000000

Yes. Although if the mail directory can be created by such a template,
you could do it without having the directory in ldap at all..