[Dovecot] Finally upgrading from v1.0.15 to v1.2.16 -- advice please

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Tue Jan 4 12:40:14 EET 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 11:35:42AM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> You could have upgraded from v1.0 to v1.1 or v1.1 to v1.2 incrementally,
> but v1.2's index changes haven't been backported to v1.0, so if v1.0
> accesses indexes modified by v1.2 you'll probably get some errors.

I think we'll just jump in with both feet, and upgrade them all to v1.2
at the same time. If, in worst case, we need to downgrade, do we need to
delete all indexes first, or will the errors resolve themselves ?

I just tested accessing the same mailbox over imap first against v1.2
then against v1.0.15, and didn't see any problems logged. But maybe that
was too light testing to reveal any problems..

> > Does the below look correct ?
> >
> > 	user_attrs = mailMessageStore=mail=maildir:%$:INDEX=/usr/local/atmail/users/indexes/%1u/%1.1u/%u, mailQuota=quota_rule=*:storage=%$
> >
> > i.e. will it point dovecot at:
> >
> > 	mail = maildir:/usr/local/atmail/users/j/a/janfrode at domain1.net:INDEX=/usr/local/atmail/users/indexes/j/a/janfrode at domain1.net
> > 	quota_rule=*:storage=1000000
>
> Yes. Although if the mail directory can be created by such a template,
> you could do it without having the directory in ldap at all..

What would I then have on the left hand side of the expression instead
of ldap attribute ? Hmm, I think I'll stick with the ldap attribute, to
force us to keep the ldap data correct in case we ever want to replace
some parts of dovecot with something that doesn't allow such templating.

  -jf