[Dovecot] Making shared folders "unmovable"

Dave dave at momentumweb.com
Wed Jan 12 01:37:08 EET 2011

Well, I've tried ACLs before and had no success, which I remembered when
looking back through the config file to try it now. :)  But, perhaps I'm
missing something obvious!  Here's what I've done: I enabled the ACL
features in IMAP with "mail_plugins = acl imap_acl" under the "protocol
imap {" section, as instructed in the wiki.  I also added "acl = vfile"
under the "plugin {" section.  I HUPped Dovecot so as to re-read the
config, and put a "dovecot-acl" in Maildir/.TestFolder that contains 1 line:
anyone lrwstipea

So, in theory, that should do it right?  No "x" and no "k" permissions
in that list for "anyone", yet I can still delete, move, and rename the
"TestFolder" folder (in which that dovecot-acl file resides, on disk in
the folder above) through my mail client.  What am I missing?  Clearly
something! :)  (I haven't tried restarting Dovecot yet as there are some
people using the mailbox at the moment, fwiw.)
Dave