[Dovecot] Making shared folders "unmovable"

Gregory Finch gfinch at ldmltd.ca
Wed Jan 12 19:17:22 EET 2011

On 2011-01-11 3:37 PM, Dave wrote:
> Well, I've tried ACLs before and had no success, which I remembered
> when looking back through the config file to try it now. :)  But,
> perhaps I'm missing something obvious!  Here's what I've done: I
> enabled the ACL features in IMAP with "mail_plugins = acl imap_acl"
> under the "protocol imap {" section, as instructed in the wiki.  I
> also added "acl = vfile" under the "plugin {" section.  I HUPped
> Dovecot so as to re-read the config, and put a "dovecot-acl" in
> Maildir/.TestFolder that contains 1 line:
> anyone lrwstipea
>
> So, in theory, that should do it right?  No "x" and no "k" permissions
> in that list for "anyone", yet I can still delete, move, and rename
> the "TestFolder" folder (in which that dovecot-acl file resides, on
> disk in the folder above) through my mail client.  What am I missing?
> Clearly something! :)  (I haven't tried restarting Dovecot yet as
> there are some people using the mailbox at the moment, fwiw.)
> Dave
>

> On 1/11/2011 4:11 PM, Willie Gillespie wrote:
>> Jose Celestino wrote:
>>> You may be able to do that with ACLs.
>>
>> Jose is right.  Take away the x and k rights with ACLs.

From the WIKI at http://wiki1.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Shared

By default Dovecot doesn't allow using the IMAP "anyone" or
"authenticated" identifier, because it would be an easy way to spam
other users in the system. If you wish to allow it, set:

plugin {
  acl_anyone = allow
}

Note that you can also do this only for some users by returning the acl_anyone as userdb extra field <http://wiki1.dovecot.org/UserDatabase/ExtraFields>.