[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Wed Jan 12 22:13:31 EET 2011

Marc Perkel put forth on 1/12/2011 12:18 PM:

> time sh -c "dd if=/dev/zero of=ddfile bs=8k count=2000000 && sync"
>
> 2000000+0 records in
> 2000000+0 records out
> 16384000000 bytes (16 GB) copied, 55.403 s, 296 MB/s
>
> real    1m4.738s
> user    0m0.336s
> sys     0m20.199s

That's a horrible test case for a mail server, especially one using maildir
storage.  Streaming read/write b/w results are meaningless for mail I/O.  You
need a random I/O test such as bonnie++ or iozone to see your IOPS.  We already
know it'll be off the chart compared to mechanical drives though.  Would still
be neat to see the numbers.  There's also the most realistic test, ironically,
given the list on which you asked this question:

http://www.imapwiki.org/Benchmarking

:)

--
Stan