[Dovecot] v2.0.9 released

Mark Alan varia at e-healthexpert.org
Fri Jan 14 13:35:57 EET 2011

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 23:59:03 +0100, Philipp Haselwarter
<philipp.haselwarter at gmx.de> wrote:

> Just wondering, what OS do you use?

Ubuntu (Debian based) server < http://www.ubuntu.com/server >

Main distro has Dovecot 1.2.12, but there are ppa's (a kind of user
maintained, but publicly available repository) with the latest Dovecot
(currently 2.0.9).

To install Dovecot 2.0.9, using Mauermann's ppa, you just execute:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mauermann/testing
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d

> 2.x.x any time soon? Or is debian just the wrong platform if I want
> to run the dovecot 2 series?
> What do other users do, roll your own .debs from source?

Debian is as good as any other.
It is just a matter of finding a backported Dovecot 2.0.9 that suits
your Debian version.
For instance, as it seems that you are using the same Debian base, you
could try to execute as root:
  echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mauermann/testing/ubuntu maverick
main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
  apt-get update
  apt-get install dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d

And see if it works for you.

If it doesn't, just get back at were you started, execute as root:
  sed -i '/mauermann\/testing/d' /etc/apt/sources.list
  apt-get update

Regards,

M.