[Dovecot] Time jumped forwards

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Fri Jan 14 16:32:57 EET 2011

On 14/01/11 15:14, Ian B wrote:
> On Fri Jan 14 07:23:32 EET 2011, Eric Shubert wrote:
>> See
>> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1006427&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&dialogID=23956052&stateId=1%200%2023952415
>>

>> In particular, see NTP Recommendations and VMware Tools bits at the bottom.
>

> Thanks, I've read through that document a couple of times now & I'm fairly sure my system 'ticks all the boxes' yet the warning messages continues.

There is no checklist on the page, but a list of recommendations. that
does not mean that you can use all of them at the same time.

I had this problem too when I setup a VMware guest last month (noticed
through strange spikes in munin's ntp monitoring, not through dovecot
logs). After some research I found out that I had VMware time
synchronisation (host to guest) enabled, and NTP in the guest running.
The ESX host clock was some 90+ seconds behind, so VMware stalled my
clock once in a while, after which NTP corrected it again.

I asked the ESX admin to fix the clock, but disabled the VMware
synchronisation and now use only ntp in the guest. Never looked back.

So in stead of 'ticking all the boxes', explain your setup. You have NTP
enabled, but what does VMware do?

> Could this be a time mismatch between imap client & server?

No.

--
Tom