[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Jan 14 16:18:39 EET 2011

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> How do they fail? Supposedly once a cell has reached its erase-limit it
> should become read-only. Maybe the failures had nothing to do with
> wearing?

Hi Timo.  I start seeing I/O errors on read or write.  I must admit I
don't have definitive proof that it is a wear level problem but there
isn't any other obvious cause either.  ie, no known heat or other problems
have occured on the systems.

It's left me a bit gun-shy of deploying SSD more widely.  I would
certainly love to be able to trust it as an alternative to disk.

Yes cells certainly should go read-only when they run out of write-cycles,
which would be a far less painful way for them to fail :)

One of the systems to fail was a firewall running off SSD.  A Linux based
firewall can lose entire filesystems and keep running[1] so I first
noticed the problem when the backups started to fail.

[1] Although you can't change the firewall ruleset without userspace
tools.

Cheers,

Rpb

--