[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sat Jan 15 12:41:42 EET 2011

> One of the systems to fail was a firewall running off SSD.

SSD or CF?

It would appear it's also possible to damage some flash memory by
powering off at the wrong moment?  I had a router running on a nearly
new SLC flash card and it kept suffering errors every 24 hours and
perhaps it was filesystem corruption since it was kind of fixed when I
rebooted.  Then after a few more days it died completely, briefly I
could repartition it and then an hour later I could no longer even get
it detected to the OS and hence it appeared absolutely completely dead.

So that's a new 4GB SLC card, using around 500MB of it and a light
writeable filesystem running pfsense (perhaps a few writes per minute)
and it died inside a month...  I don't have enough data to see if it
died from wear or if I was just unlucky...

This is a cheap (ish) CF card though, not an SSD drive

Ed W