[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Sat Jan 15 04:29:26 EET 2011

Quoting Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com>:
>> David Jonas put forth on 1/14/2011 2:08 PM:
>   >
>   >> Raid10 is our normal go to, but giving up half the storage in this case
>   >> seemed unnecessary. I was looking at SAS drives and it was getting
>   >> pricy. I'll work SATA into my considerations.
>   >
>   > That's because you're using the wrong equation for determining your
>   > disk storage
>   > needs.  I posted a new equation on one of the lists a week or two ago.
>   > Performance and reliability are far more important now than
> total space.  And
>   > today performance means transactional write IOPS not streaming reads.  In
>   > today's world, specifically for transaction oriented applications (db
>   > and mail)
>   > smaller faster more expensive disks are less expensive in total ROI
>   > that big fat
>   > slow drives.  The reason is that few if any organizations actually
>   > need 28TB (14
>   > 2TB Cavier Green drives--popular with idiots today) of mail storage
>   > in a single
>   > mail store.  That's 50 years worth of mail storage for a 50,000 employee
>   > company, assuming your employees aren't allowed porn/video
> attachments, which
>   > which most aren't.
And that's assuming a platter squeezing in 1TB of data at 7200RPMs doesn't
get a comparable performance improvement to a higher rotational speed on a
lower volume platter...  Hell for the price of a single 250gb SSD drive,
you can RAID 10 TEN 7200 RPM 500GB SATAs.

So while, yes, my 10 drive SATA RAID 10 ONLY performs 166MB/sec with a
'simplistic' dd test, In reality I just don't think Joe User is going to
notice the difference between that and the superior performance of a
single SSD drive when he POPs his 10 3k emails.

Rick