[Dovecot] mail to admin when quota exceeded

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 16 22:08:38 EET 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 01:06 +0200, Karolis Žvaigždinas wrote:
> We're using Dovecot v1.2.15 LDA/IMAP/POP3+MySQL with quota plugin,
> quota_rule per-user size, quota_exceed_message and quota_warning on
> storage=90%%.with script.
> Everything is working as expected.
> But I've been asked to configure it the way, that when a user gets message,
> which would make his maildir over quota limit, notification go not only to
> sender, but also to postmaster at domain.com.
> Browsed wiki, mailinglist archive - couldn't find anything on that.
> Is there a way to implement such feature?

You could configure sendmail_path to a script that adds postmaster to
the recipients list before execing the real sendmail. This of course
assumes that you're not using Sieve, because then the sendmail_path is
executed for other reasons as well. Or alternatively you could read the
message body and see if it's a out-of-quota reply or not..

> And what about possibility to send a message to user, notifying him about
> rejected email "from: xxx at yyy.com" with "subj: blah blah" due to full
> mailbox? Such messages are small and would not take too much space. Thus the
> user would know what he misses, urging him to clean his mailbox.

Same as above, make the script deliver the "out of quota" mail to user
(with quota disabled so it won't go to infinite loop).