[Dovecot] Question about indexes and maildir/sdbox/mdbox

Tue Jan 18 00:04:08 EET 2011

On 2011-01-17 4:58 PM, Javier de Miguel Rodríguez wrote:
> We are now running dovecot 2.0.9 with indexes in a ram disk and maildir
> storage in a test system. We have the following questions:
>
>     - If there is a power outage / kernel crash, we will lose the
> content of ramdisk. We have tested that indexes are regenerated when a
> user logs in via imap, so e-mail access will be "slower" after a power
> outage / kernel crash, but everything should work as expected (TM). Are
> we missing something?

If this is a heavy use box, having everyone's indexes being rebuilt at
the same time could bring it to its knees...

Since this is a server I'm sure you have adequate power protection
(UPS), so only extended power outages might be an issue - but then you
should also have it configured to safely shut down in this event, no?

But anyway, yes, the indexes will be rebuilt and everything should
continue working...

--

Best regards,

Charles