[Dovecot] Question about indexes and maildir/sdbox/mdbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 18 00:19:22 EET 2011

On 17.1.2011, at 23.58, Javier de Miguel Rodríguez wrote:

>    So in mdbox we should not use a ramdisk for indexes. But what about sdbox? sdbox indexes work as maildir indexes? Are sdbox indexes bigger than maildir indexes?

With both sdbox and mdbox the message flags are only stored in index files. That's one of the reasons why dboxes are fast. They don't waste I/O keeping flags and other metadata duplicated.

sdbox indexes should be exactly the same size as maildir indexes. sdbox doesn't have equivalent of dovecot-uidlist file so there it uses less space, but then again the mail files it creates are a little bit larger since they contain some metadata.