[Dovecot] Problems with Upgrade from Courier

Aaron Pettitt apettitt at comcast.net
Thu Jan 20 17:02:22 EET 2011

I inherited a server from a previous employee.  The server crashed so it was
time to move everything over to another server.  We have a web mail site and
I installed everything running dovecot, postfix and roundcube.  After I
installed it, everything worked great when I created a new user.  The new
user could send and receive emails with no issues.  I then copied the home
directory over from the other server and ran the courier-dovecot migration
script.  It created the subscription files and the dovecot-uidlist files in
each user (about 1000 total users).  When I login as one of the existing
users, it says that there is no mail in the mailbox.  However, if I look at
the user's cur and new folders, there is mail in those folders.  If I send a
new mail to the user, it does not show up in their inbox.  If I look in
their new folder, the new mail that I sent was delivered to that folder but
it does not show up in their inbox.  I've tried going to dovecot directly
through telnet with the same results.  I've been stuck for 2 days now so any
help is greatly appreciated.  Below is my dovecot.conf with all the comments
removed.

Thanks all!

protocols = imap imaps

disable_plaintext_auth = no

log_path = '/var/log/dovecot/error.log'

info_log_path = '/var/log/dovecot/info.log'

log_timestamp = "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S "

#mail_location = maildir:~/

mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/

mail_privileged_group = mail

mail_debug = yes

protocol imap {

}

protocol pop3 {

}

protocol managesieve {

  sieve_storage=~/sieve

}

protocol lda {

    log_path = /home/vmail/dovecot-deliver.log

    auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master

    postmaster_address = postmaster at mybridemal.com

    mail_plugins = cmusieve

    global_script_path = /home/vmail/globalsieverc

}

auth_verbose = yes

auth_debug = no

auth_debug_passwords = no

auth default {

  passdb sql {

    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf

  }

args = uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/home/vmail/%d/%n allow_all_users=yes

  }

  user = root

      path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master

      mode = 0600