[Dovecot] Dotlock dovecot-uidlist errors / NFS / High Load

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 28 03:40:38 EET 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 12:34 -0600, list at airstreamcomm.net wrote:

> Jan 25 11:30:11 1295976611 POP3(4eagles): Warning: Created dotlock file's
> timestamp is different than current time (1295976643 vs 1295976607):
> /mail/4/e/4eagles/Maildir/dovecot-uidlist
>
> We added the epoch time to the log_timestamp setting to compare it to the
> dotlock error, and as you can see the "Created dotlock" epoch time is 32
> seconds in the future compared to the epoch time of the log event.  At this
> point I hope you can help us understand where a timestamp from the future
> might be generated from.

The first timestamp comes from the .lock file's ctime as reported by
fstat(). If that's in the future, then the possibilities are:

a) Bug in the kernel's NFS client code (unlikely)
b) Bug in NFS server reporting or setting wrong ctime
c) NFS server's clock went into future

No possibility of it being Dovecot's fault anymore.