[Dovecot] Cooperating with dovecot in its Maildir

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jan 29 19:45:26 EET 2011

On 29.1.2011, at 19.05, Rob Browning wrote:

Oops, I accidentally added you to discard list rather than accept list :)

> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:
>
>> If you're only changing the standard maildir flags (not a..z =
>> keywords) then you don't really need to lock anything. The uidlist
>> locking could prevent a mail from being temporarily lost, but this
>> happening is highly
>> unlikely. http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir#Locking
>> explains.
>
> I saw that, but I wasn't sure if the fact that a message might "receive
> a new UID" could be a problem.

It's a theoretical problem mostly, especially in your case. It's mainly visible when doing stress testing with large maildirs. I doubt in regular use it matters. Courier doesn't try to prevent it in any way and it seems to have worked mostly ok.

> Or is the UID supposed to change when the flags change?

No.