[Dovecot] Cooperating with dovecot in its Maildir

Rob Browning rlb at defaultvalue.org
Sat Jan 29 20:04:33 EET 2011

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:

> On 29.1.2011, at 19.05, Rob Browning wrote:

>> I saw that, but I wasn't sure if the fact that a message might "receive
>> a new UID" could be a problem.
>
> It's a theoretical problem mostly, especially in your case. It's
> mainly visible when doing stress testing with large maildirs. I doubt
> in regular use it matters. Courier doesn't try to prevent it in any
> way and it seems to have worked mostly ok.
>
>> Or is the UID supposed to change when the flags change?
>
> No.

OK, so it sounds like if we wanted to be completely safe, we probably
need to know that we're in a dovecot Maildir, and then we need to know
where to create the appropriate dovecot-uidlist.lock file whenever
renaming files.

Do you happen to know if the liblockfile (lockfile_create(3), etc.)
.lock strategy is compatible with dovecot's approach?

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org