[Dovecot] Duplicate messages when moving message to inbox

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon Jan 31 01:04:07 EET 2011

Hello,

I am encountering a strange problem but I'm not sure if it's a dovecot problem or a Mac Mail problem.  The symptom is that if I move a message from a folder into my inbox the message ends up showing up as a duplicate in Mac Mail.  On the server it's still just one message.

This ONLY happens when I move a message IN to the inbox.  It does not happen when I move a message out of my inbox into a folder, or when I move a message between folders.

I can force a sync on Mac Mail and the duplicate is still there.  If however I quit Mac Mail and start it up again, the duplicate disappears.

I can move one of the duplicated messages out of my inbox into a folder and then back into my inbox repeatedly and end up with (apparently) an arbitrary number of copies of the same message.  On the server, though, there is still only one file.

Surely I'm not the first person to have encountered this behavior?  Does anyone happen to know if this is a dovecot bug or a Mac Mail bug (or, hopefully, a configuration problem)?

Thanks,
rg