[Dovecot] imap idle and concurrent connections

Wolfgang Rosenauer wrosenauer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 09:34:40 EEST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 4.7.2011, at 13.07, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
>
>> Two telnet imap connections open and both idling on the inbox and only
>> one of them gets the "1 recent" notification.
>
> This is how it's supposed to work according to IMAP RFC. Only one session ever sees a message as \Recent. Both of them gets an updated EXISTS though.

Is this:
RFC 3501 Section 7.3.2?

Examples of
situations in which this is not the case are: multiple
clients having the same mailbox open (the first session
to be notified will see it as recent, others will
probably see it as non-recent)

So the implementation seems to be fine according to the RFC but it
came somehow unexpected to me. It's not that this is required by the
RFC though.

Thanks for the information,
 Wolfgang