[Dovecot] passdb/userdb via UNIX socket?

Peter Mogensen apm at one.com
Thu Jul 7 15:42:19 EEST 2011

Hi,

I've been running some performance tests - especially delivery (LDA and
LMTP) and it seems there's room for improvement.

At least it would be nice to get rid of the fork() and pipe to deliver
LDA and the fork of the checkpasswd script for userdb lookup.
I've tried LMTP to not fork deliver (*), but checkpasswd still takes
time (ok, maybe because it's written on perl as of now).

But I was wondering, why there's no passdb/userdb plugin for talking to
a local authentication daemon over a UNIX socket? Have I missed
something? Is there a thirdparty patch for this?

/Peter

*: Using Postfix "virtual" LDA seems much faster than asking Postfix to
pipe data to "deliver". ... but then of course, I get no dovecot
indexing by the LDA.