[Dovecot] Sieve scripts not run

Veikko "Wexi" Skurnik wexi at wexin.net
Thu Jul 7 15:22:45 EEST 2011

On 7.7.2011 11:40, Stephan Bosch wrote:
> Op 7-7-2011 10:30, Veikko "Wexi" Skurnik schreef:
>> I have a dovecot/postfix mail server with virtual user and LDAP
>> authentication but for some reason the sieve scripts in user's maildirs
>> are not run. Here's my dovecot -n:
> [...]
>> I can telnet to the Managesieve server and it also works with Roundcube
>> but whatever the sieve script contains, nothing happens. I've also
>> looked into the logs but cannot find any errors related to this...
>
> Are you using the Dovecot LDA or LMTP? Without one of those, Sieve
> scripts will not be applied.
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LMTP (you are at least running this one, but
> does postfix use it?)
>
> If you are using LMTP, your config indicates that you have not enabled
> the sieve plugin for it. Then this is missing:
>
> protocol lmtp {
>   mail_plugins = "sieve"
> }

Hmm OK, turns out I wasn't using Dovecot's LDA but Postfix's. The
attempt to switch to dovecot's LDA created another problem, now users
cannot recieve email and the logs show an "user unknown" error. I
believe it has something to do with the userdb lookups from LDAP, it's
not matchin LDAP:s mail attribute to the username as the Postfix LDA
did... Anyone have any experience with this problem? The passdb lookups
work as I can log in an browse the mailboxes.

Wexi

--
* Veikko "Wexi" Skurnik: +358(44)5288338  *
* wexi at wexin.net Wexi at IRCNet wexi79 at skype *