[Dovecot] POP3 vs. IMAP Load/Memory usage in Dovecot 1.0.15

lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Fri Jul 8 12:48:57 EEST 2011

Hi all,

We've just provisioned a new cluster of dovecot nodes running Centos
and Dovecot 1.0.15 (we needed to match the original configuration,
we're upgrading to 1.2 next week!).

The nodes are currently equally allocated (50/50 split) to IMAP and
POP3, with the intention to move them into a single cluster hosting
both services in the next month.

All the servers are of identical spec (24 cores, 24G RAM) and are
configured to load the indices, control files and maildirs via NFS.

We have noticed that the IMAP servers appear to be under much less
load and utilising drastically less RAM than the POP3 servers and I'm
wondering if there is a reason for this as we have seen some swapping
onto disk yet we are only handling 500 concurrent POP3 connections to
each server at any given time compared with over 600 IMAP connections.

I'm wondering if we've missed a config flag somewhere or (better
still!) this issue will go away when we upgrade to 1.2.

If anyone can shed any light on this, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt