[Dovecot] n00b here -- pop email deletion

Glenn English ghe at slsware.com
Mon Jul 11 03:13:57 EEST 2011

On Jul 10, 2011, at 6:00 PM, Duane Hill wrote:

> Is the email client used to read email set to leave mail on the server
> for a period of time or indefinitely?

As far as I can tell, yes it is (Apple Mail seems to not have anything about that option, and it defaults to "keeping stuff for eternity").

Actually, Apple Mail seems to download email to the user *and* leave it on the server.

> Recent versions of Dovecot can use doveadm to remove messages off the
> server that have the deleted and seen flags set. I'm not sure about
> doing the same for earlier versions of Dovecot.

That'd do just fine. But the best I can do with Debian stable is 1.2, and there's no 'doveadm' in the apt lists. Bears looking into, though...

--
Glenn English