[Dovecot] Backup namespace

qmail at top-consulting.net qmail at top-consulting.net
Fri Jul 15 05:29:51 EEST 2011

I use dovecot 1.2.16 and I use . (dot) as the hierarchy separator.

My user structure is like so:

username/Maildir/.Folder1
username/Maildir/.Folder1.Subfolder

The Inbox is right under:

username/Maildir/cur & username/Maildir/new

My namespace definition for the regular mail is:

namespace private {
   separator = .
   prefix =
   inbox = yes
}

In a separate directory, nfs mounted, I also hold full daily backups
of each users entire Maildir. It has the following structure:

/archive/username/.14.07.2011/.Folder1
/archive/username/.14.07.2011/.Folder1.Subfolder
/archive/username/.15.07.2011/.Folder1
/archive/username/.15.07.2011/.Folder1.Subfolder

What I'm trying to do is to make the Backups available to each user in
their IMAP. I was thinking of symlinking like this:

username/Maildir/Backups  --> /archive/username/

Would that work ?

What should my namespace look like for this situation ?

Is there a better way to do this ?