[Dovecot] Performance with 200k messages in Maildir

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Wed Jul 20 11:13:48 EEST 2011

On 18/07/2011 11:27, Vegard Svanberg wrote:
> What should I expect performance-wise if I put 200000 messages in a
> Maildir store and use two or three MUAs (mutt and Thunderbird), on an
> Athlon dual core 2GHz with SATA drives in software RAID (Linux)?
>
> Like; would it be useless/crawling, usable or pretty fast. I imagine
> MUA startup / first time folder read would be slow, but daily use more
> or less ok.
>
> Thanks to Dovecot's indexing, I imagine I would be better off
> interfacing Mutt to Maildir via IMAP and Dovecot rather than accessing
> Maildir/ directly?

200,000 messages under Maildir in a single folder.

You will tend to have a relatively large number of inodes compared to
the relative overall scale of the system.

This will tend to make backing-up a nuisance.

One thing you could consider is storing your mail under "mdbox". This
should drastically reduce the number of inodes.

Just remember that under "mdbox" the so-called "indexes" are actually
critical data files (i.e. they cannot be re-created like they could be
with Maildir or mbox).

Bill