[Dovecot] dovecot and tcpwrappers

Kees Lemmens C.W.J.Lemmens at ewi.tudelft.nl
Wed Jul 27 15:16:35 EEST 2011

Hi,

I used dovecot 1.x for quite a while and it worked fine. However, I used it
through inetd and used hosts.allow/deny to restrict access to only certain
groups of systems.

Since yesterday I have dovecot 2.0.13. But in version 2.0.13 it seems that
starting using inetd doesn't work anymore : I only get a strange error
message if I try to connect using telnet :

telnet localhost imap
doveconf: Fatal: execvp(imap-login) failed: No such file or directory

I tried a lot of things but couldn't get it going over inetd so I decided
to start it directly using an init script, also because you say in the wiki
this is (now) the preferred method.

That indeed works fine, but I realised today that dovecot is now completely
ignoring all my hosts.allow/deny settings and so is worldwide accessible !

Is dovecot indeed ignoring hosts.allow/deny ? And if so, how can I have the
same amount of protection as I previously had with dovecot 1.x over inetd ?

BTW: I tried to post on the mailinglist but it seems I can't access them it
the moment, altough I did subscribe and login. Is there anything wrong ?

Thanks for your reply !

--
With best regards,
Kees Lemmens.