[Dovecot] 2.0: deliver run from multiple uids and configuration files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 3 14:54:48 EEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 23:20 +0200, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> I'm trying to run deliver from exim transport in a way that it doesn't need to
> query userdb AND doesn't need to read configuration files.
>
> The problem is that config files are readable for root only and if I run
> deliver with multiple UIDs then I would have to allow reading config files for
> everyone. Of course that's not a option because configs contain database
> passwords and such stuff.

Database passwords should be in in the dovecot-sql.conf.ext or
something, which LDA (or doveconf, really) doesn't even try to read.

If there are other secrets, you could put them to a separate file, which
you:

!include_try /etc/dovecot/secrets.conf

LDA will just ignore it.

> I wonder if it is possible to avoid reading config files by deliver?

With -O parameter it doesn't read config, but I don't really recommend
that..