[Dovecot] limiting number of login attempts from same ip

Duane Hill duane at duanemail.org
Fri Jun 10 14:16:33 EEST 2011

Friday, June 10, 2011, 6:01:22 AM, Charles wrote:

> On 2011-06-10 6:06 AM, Duane Hill wrote:
>> Someone else suggested using fail2ban which is good. I have sshguard
>> set up myself.

> He already said he didn't want to use Fail2ban - not sure why though,
> since it protects many other services at the same time, does exactly
> what he wants to do, and is quite easy to setup...

> Jurgen - I personally would suggest you reconsider using Fail2ban...

> It really is easy to setup, and like I said, you can protect all your
> other services with it too (ssh, ftp, etc)...

I did realize the not wanting usage of fail2ban and had suggested
the increase in time for failed login attempts. We had an email
account compromised within the past several weeks and the increase of
the specific parameter has thwarted the failed login attempts. If I
read the documentation correctly, the time is incremental (i.e. 2, 4,
8, 16, 32...). Whereby setting to 5 seconds would be 5, 10, 20, 40,
80... I did read somewhere there is a hard coded limit where the
parameter would top out at.

--
Best regards,
 Duane                            mailto:duane at duanemail.org