[Dovecot] Timeout during APPEND

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 13 17:23:24 EEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 15:11 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> [2011.06.13.1444 +0200]:
> > Timing out after only 30 seconds seems a bit aggressive to me,
> > especially if you're uploading a large message over a slow network
> > connection. Isn't it configurable?
>
> Not that I can see, but I will check out the code later too.
>
> The question is whether IMAP really limits us to using something
> silly as timeouts. Couldn't the server keep sending BUSY messages,
> or the like?

It could, and Dovecot does that for several commands. But I'm a bit
afraid of adding such code for APPEND, because it could easily break
some clients. I know an old version of Evolution broke if it got any
extra data during APPEND.

> How could the client distinguish between an upload progressing, and
> the connection having stalled. Does it look at the flow rate of
> data, or how does IMAP cater for this requirement?

If your router/whatever swallows the entire 10 MB at once and starts
uploading it for the next 60 seconds, I guess there's nothing that a
client can do.