[Dovecot] limiting number of login attempts from same ip

Jürgen Obermann Juergen.Obermann at hrz.uni-giessen.de
Tue Jun 14 00:49:57 EEST 2011

> On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 11:22 +0200, Jürgen Obermann wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> is it possible to limit the number of pop3 (or imap) login attempts
>> from one IP with dovecot to stop attackers? We recently had an attack
>> from one IP-address lasting 50 minutes that tried 50000 pop3-logins
>> with guessed users and passwords. I know about Fail2Ban but really
>> would prefer an easy to configure solution inside of dovecot. Dovecot
>> has this anvil daemon, can it be used for that purpose?
>>
>> We use dovcot version 2.0.12 under Solaris 10, the pop3-login part of
>> the configuration looking like that:
>
> With v2.0 it was already limiting. It increased each login failure delay
> to 15 seconds before the failure was reported. Although maybe something
> wasn't working correctly, because 50k hits is more than I think should
> have been possible. Assuming you have default_process_limit=100
> (default), there should have been a maximum of 20k attempts (100
> processes / 15 seconds * 60*50 seconds).
>
> Hmm. Maybe instead of simply increasing the failure delay, the IP could
> be disconnected immediately?

We had set default_process_limit=2000. I think this was necessary
during testing the high-security mode and I forgot to set it back to
100 again after switching back to high-perfomance mode
(http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LoginProcess). But even 20k attempts in 50
minutes (or 6 per second) would habe been to much for one real person.
The attack would have taken about 2 hours instead of nearly one.

I admit that fail2ban can stop this attack, but we have solaris and
not linux and therefore the actions fail3ban wants to start are not
available.

Greetings, Juergen
Hochschulrechenzentrum der | Mail: Juergen.Obermann at hrz.uni-giessen.de
Justus-Liebig-Universitaet | WWW:  http://www.uni-giessen.de/obermann/
Heinrich-Buff-Ring 44      | Tel:  0641-99-13054 (0641-99-13001)
D-35392 Giessen, Germany   | Fax:  0641-99-13009