[Dovecot] limiting number of login attempts from same ip

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Tue Jun 14 10:25:36 EEST 2011

On 14/6/2011 1:12 πμ, Tom Hendrikx wrote:

> On 13/06/11 23:49, Jürgen Obermann wrote:
>> I admit that fail2ban can stop this attack, but we have solaris and not
>> linux and therefore the actions fail3ban wants to start are not available.
>>
> If fail2ban itself can run on your box, then that's the way to go.

I would like to add that, although fail2ban is great and we are using it
for a long time, it doesn't support IPv6; now that our servers (we are
using CentOS 5.6 x86_64) and networks are IPv6 enabled, this is a
problem (but hopefully IPv6-based attacks should not be very common
yet). We have not implemented a solution for protecting pop3/imap over
IPv6 yet, but I have recently found this article:
http://www.roedie.nl/tag/fail2ban/ which suggests autofwd:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/autofwd which might provide a good
solution. It seems versatile and supports IPv6.

If anybody has done or can do an implementation on Linux (using iptables
AND ip6tables) for pop3/imap, pop3s/imaps and share it, it will be most
welcome and very useful.

This is a Linux tool, so I can't suggest anything for Solaris or other
systems. Nevertheless, finding a solution for Linux is still significant!

Nick