[Dovecot] Vacation -- reply to another address than envelope from

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Sun Jun 19 14:07:17 EEST 2011

Op 16-6-2011 16:08, Vegard Svanberg schreef:
> Vacation (Sieve) replies to the envelope address. However, I have a
> customer which receive e-mails from a service which sends e-mails on
> behalf of a user (submitted through a web form).
>
> So an e-mail would be like (envelope from and from-header is
> webformfromwhatever at foobar.com):
>
> From: webformfromwhatever at foobar.com
> To: mycustomer at hisdomain.com
>
> I need the reply to go to the reply-to address.
>
> Can I handle this with Sieve?

No. The vacation auto-responder only uses the SMTP envelope to determine
the address for a response. Using the Reply-To, From or Sender headers
is generally considered to be a bad idea for this purpose
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3834#section-4). I don't quite see how
you could fix this problem without ignoring these concerns, sorry.

Regards,

Stephan.