[Dovecot] Custom Trash (etc) location

fusionstream fusionstream at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 17:11:23 EEST 2011

Hi there.

I have dovecot 1.2.17 installed on me system.

I'd like to create a gmail-esque imap tree where all imap folders except
for the inbox are in a subdirectory(?). More importantly, I'd like the
email client (specifically thunderbird) to be able to recognise the
folders and thusly give it a special trash/junk/etc icon which I presume
also makes trash and junk go to, well the truash and junk folders
automagically. Based on searching the web, I believe that namespaces are
the solution. I believed that I had set it up to be
1) Inbox
2) IMAP
     - Drafts
     - Junk
     - Trash
     - etc

However, when trying to use namespaces, I get IMAP.Drafts, IMAP.Junk and
all the other folders also appearing in INBOX, in addition to another
top-level IMAP.*. What am I doing wrong? If I understand the solutions
posted on the web correctly, solving this (resulting in only one of each
type of folder) should make thunderbird automagically recognise these
"special folders".

This is my configuration:

    # 1.2.17: /etc/dovecot.conf
    # OS: Linux 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 i686 CentOS release 5.6 (Final) ext3
    ssl_ca_file: /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
    ssl_cert_file: /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.crt
    ssl_key_file: /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.key
    login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
    login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
    login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
    login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
    first_valid_uid: *[removed]*
    last_valid_uid: *[removed]*
    first_valid_gid: *[removed]*
    last_valid_gid: *[removed]*
    mail_location: maildir:/var/spool/mail/virtual/%d/%n
    mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
    mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
    mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
    mail_plugins(default): autocreate
    mail_plugins(imap): autocreate
    mail_plugins(pop3):
    mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
    mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
    mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
    imap_client_workarounds(default): outlook-idle delay-newmail
    imap_client_workarounds(imap): outlook-idle delay-newmail
    imap_client_workarounds(pop3):
    pop3_client_workarounds(default):
    pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
    pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
    namespace:
       type: private
       separator: .
       prefix: INBOX.