[Dovecot] Custom Trash (etc) location

Willie Gillespie wgillespie+dovecot at es2eng.com
Thu Jun 23 03:21:18 EEST 2011

On 06/21/2011 08:11 AM, fusionstream wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I have dovecot 1.2.17 installed on me system.
>
> I'd like to create a gmail-esque imap tree where all imap folders except
> for the inbox are in a subdirectory(?). More importantly, I'd like the
> email client (specifically thunderbird) to be able to recognise the
> folders and thusly give it a special trash/junk/etc icon which I presume
> also makes trash and junk go to, well the truash and junk folders
> automagically. Based on searching the web, I believe that namespaces are
> the solution. I believed that I had set it up to be
> 1) Inbox
> 2) IMAP
> - Drafts
> - Junk
> - Trash
> - etc
>
> However, when trying to use namespaces, I get IMAP.Drafts, IMAP.Junk and
> all the other folders also appearing in INBOX, in addition to another
> top-level IMAP.*. What am I doing wrong? If I understand the solutions
> posted on the web correctly, solving this (resulting in only one of each
> type of folder) should make thunderbird automagically recognise these
> "special folders".

Why not just have one namespace with the IMAP. prefix?  "INBOX" is a
special reserved mailbox that will always exist.

As far as Thunderbird "recognizing" the folders and giving them the
special icons -- that's nothing Dovecot has control over.  Thunderbird
will just look for common-named folders, such as "Trash" and figure
that's the Trash spot.