[Dovecot] Virtual Servers

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Jun 28 01:17:43 EEST 2011

On 6/27/2011 2:51 PM, Patrick Domack wrote:
> I wouldn't worry about *duplicate cache* as far as disk goes at all.
>
> This duplicate cache is only going to benifit your vm, if the host
> machine has enough left over ram. If the host machine doesn't have
> enough ram, there won't be any cache to worry about. I think this also
> only applies when using a file based drive, where if you use a raw
> partition it doesn't get cached, cause the vfs is bypassed.

My primary "concern" was the VM cache.  My thought was since the host
was caching, there was no need for the VM to try to allocate precious VM
memory for cache purposes.  The goal "obviously?" being to allocate as
much RAM as necessary for efficient Dovecot functioning in the VM and
avoid any swap-to-disk issues.
--
Daniel